Thursday, April 10, 2008

"Too Busy Not To...

...Pray, " goes the original saying. That is certainly the truth. While I don't always succeed at having a formal prayer time at the same time every day (or even at all every day), I try to at the very least pray short prayers throughout the day: "Pray at the seams of the day," says my priest. During my morning routine, I try to say Morning Prayers and a few Matins psalms. Before beginning dinner, I try to say a Vesper's Psalm -- OK, at least I try to cross myself before making dinner: I see this as a prayer without words.

Prayer should still be the foundation of our day; but this week, I have become aware that I am especially "too busy not to finally put my routines into practice." I have finally been given a writing project from a company I signed up with a few months ago. I didn't expect it to happen this week: I had plenty of things planned already! So, to keep myself and the house from falling apart in the process (stressing out myself and my husband, and probably the kids too), I have been focusing on my routines.

I awake feeling the pressure of a project for which I am not completely prepared or entirely confident in my abilities, but I know that I will be inefficient in my work and precious little around the house will get done if I jump onto the computer in my pajamas, with a cup of coffee as my breakfast, and with my bed unmade and my cat box full of... well, you get the picture. I see it as motivation to finally reclaim my routines and reap the rewards of having them under my belt.

So, before I begin to attack today's list, I am clothed (and showered!), my bed is made, my bathroom Swished and Swiped, my cat box scooped, oatmeal with blueberry jam is in my tummy, my dishes from breakfast are done, and my dining table and kitchen counters are wiped down (OK, I still see some oatmeal flakes on the counter -- we're not going for Martha Stewart here, just FlyLady). And before I begin, I should also say a prayer.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Good work, Patty! It's amazing what one can accomplish if they have a plan of attack--and it sounds like you do. Now stop reading this and take care of business! :)