Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Laundry Quandry

I think I am finally a convert to FlyLady's one load at a time idea. You do it all the way through (to folded and put away) before starting another one, and I may even start shooting for just one load a day, instead of trying to get "caught up" all the time and totally burning out on laundry. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, and if you have a working system in place, by all means use it! Some things I've realized...

One load a day: I do the laundry in fits and starts anyway. I bet if I spread the loads out to one a day, it would average out to one per day (excluding weekends), with maybe two loads here and there when I'm washing sheets.

One load at a time: again, unless I'm washing a load of sheets, I'd better do this, or I end up with clothes drying in the bathroom, folded in the basket, or in a pile somewhere.

One laundry basket!! Some time ago I switched to using one basket (and it's a small one too). This forces me to empty the basket (hopefully by putting the laundry away!) before I bring up or down another load. This has eliminated baskets of clean laundry all over the house.

One FULL load a day: we pay for our laundry in the basement of our apartment. The dryer does not work very well. If I'm only shooting for one load, I can afford (money AND time-wise) to run the dryer twice and get everything actually dry. Benefits are twofold: the clothes don't need to finish drying all over the bathroom and I can put them away when they come upstairs; and I can wash a few more items in that load than I would if I were trying to get it dry on one cycle because I'll be drying it twice!

And finally, I have shifted my idea of the "goal" of doing the laundry. I used to think that what you are striving for when you do the laundry should be almost no laundry all the time. I have decided that what I should be striving for is enough clean laundry to function. That means that there will always be a couple of loads in the sorter in the closet. As long as we are not constantly running out of towels or underwear, this is OK! People used to have one shirt to wear, one for the laundry, and one in the closet. Having something dirty and waiting to be washed is a natural part of that cycle. I am NOT failing if there are things that need to be washed, as long as I have clothes in the closet that can be worn.

And one other thing I have started to do is pull the dirty clothes from the bottom of the sorter first. Otherwise, I am constantly washing the same five shirts on top and the stuff at the bottom gets unworn for long periods of time.

3 comments:

April said...

Love this! I started doing a load a day about a year ago and it's been just short of miraculous. :) I did blues/blacks Monday, plus towels, I don't remember what load Tuesday-oh! Ella's stuff!-reds/pinks yesterday, today will be khakis and another load of towels, then I'll reboot and do another load of blues tomorrow. My only change is that I usually leave the load folded in the basket til the next day, then my first step is to put away yesterday's load. I have to put the reds/pinks away today before I do khakis. I always procrastinate on whites because we have so many little socks! :)

Kh. Patty said...

Ugh... I hate little socks! And so do the little feet... I got to the store yesterday (we walked) and the clerk pointed at something on the floor, asking if it was mine. It was a little pink sock, that had been on Susannah's foot. I was wearing her under my MammaCoat :) so I opened up to see which foot the sock belonged to, and both feet were bare! It had only been a couple of blocks!

Quebecca said...

I'm not a mom, but "emergency underwear" can pertain to everyone in your family...

Who cares whether or not your laundry is always done as long as your family is wearing (relatively) clean clothes?

Yes, I've relaxed some since my college days... (fatigue and general laziness have set in)